Fermentation Stopper ( Wine Stabiliser ) 30Grm29/01/2021
Protafloc tablets are a tabletted carrageenan product which is added to the wort in the kettle to enhance protein removal as the wort cools.
The active ingredient in Protafloc tablets is a polysaccharide called carrageenan which is derived from seaweed. Carrageenan in solution is
negatively charged, owing to the sulphate groups along the polysaccharide backbone. It is these charged sites which interact with wort proteins.
Protafloc tablets should be added to the kettle ten minutes prior to the end of the boil. The addition time reflects the length of time required to dissolve and disperse the carrageenan into the wort. Should Protafloc tablets be added early in the boil, then degradation of the polymer may occur and product efficiency is lost.
- Natural product which removes substantial quantities of haze forming material without affecting head retention
- Produces brighter worts, reducing the amount of finings required later
- Increases rate of fermentation and attenuation
- Increases filter runs
- Prolongs shelf life in small pack beers
- Reduces process time
- Is a processing aid not an additive so doesn’t require label declaration
- Reduced tank losses
- 5-10% more efficient than competitive products
- Tabletted for easy use